Monday, 15 May 2017

Sun - 14/05/17

On Sunday I did the Bideford 10K. I did my pre-race research and identified a guy from East Cornwall Harriers as the runner most likely to provide the competition in my age group (Simon Webber). The athlete in question won the same race last year in a time of 41:40. He was on the list of entries this year but I couldn't see him at race start so I made sure I got a decent start and then just ran according to how I felt. The course was slightly undulating on the outbound section and I struggled a bit on the up slopes. On the way back we were running along the Tarka Trail, a disused railway line, into a strong headwind. I tried to maintain my running form as best as I could and I guess I succeeded in that aim. Helpfully they had signs up saying 400 to go 300 to go etc. So I knew when to kick and hold! :-) I was first in the age category and I was 25 seconds in front of the second runner - the 3rd and 4th old guys in this year's race were a further 1 minute behind. So a pretty good standard really. Overall I was 72nd out of 933 finishers - not bad for an old guy. (PS. East Cornwall guy didn't make it to the start line)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.